Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Crosstown Eating House


I don't know if it's good PR or just the buzz generated by patrons, but I've seen The Crosstown Eating House in the papers a lot lately and I was pretty keen to try.

I actually thought this place was more of a supper club, but I may have just read that from a journo that ate there during supper, I can't remember, I know the kitchen is open until midnight Thursday to Saturday, which is unusual for Brisbane, but I was still pretty surprised when we were in the Woolloongabba Antiques Precinct and it was open for lunch.

Fab atmosphere inside, decor wasn't out of the ordinary, but it was buzzing inside, the staff were happy and welcoming and the menu looked nice (a little pricey for the area I thought, but it does seem to be getting exy around there). 

It was just after 12pm so we weren't hugely hungry, so the G and I (actually, just me) decided we'd share 2 starters. There were only 2 vegetarian choices on the menu so that wasn't difficult.



We had the pan fried haloumi with beetroot, quinoa, lemon and almond starter and the spiced eggplant, tomato, yoghurt, flatbread and roast lemon.  Both were delicious!  The haloumi was rubbery and squeaky and warm. The quinoa, lemon and almond salad it was on was served cold, which was kind of weird, but the beetroot was nice and fresh and definitely didn't come out of a tin.

The spiced eggplant was divine, even Graham loved it and he doesn't even like eggplant. It was served with just the right amount of flatbread, with a grilled lemon slice to drizzle.


Afterwards you can sit on the chair outside and look contented and happy....like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment